Friday, October 13, 2006

A missed opportunity

The first time I say DOA play live was at a concert organized by the son of a friend of mine. The youngster had been living in Vancouver and spending his time skateboarding and playing drums for local hardcore/punk units. He had somehow gotten in good with the great big men of DOA and when the chance came he organized this all ages gig in his hometown. For either $10, or $5 and a donation to the food-bank you got to see DOA headline with three other bands besides. Good value.

Anyway I showed up and being a big spender I paid the $10 and I brought along a couple of cans of soup and some food vouchers. I ran into my niece who was at the show with a cabal of her unruly friends and she and I had a little chat being as we’re on good terms. She asked if I was going to go into the mosh-pit and I told her that I had been asked not to because of the worry that I might break some kids. She said that she had been told not to go into the pit for the same reason.

While we were talking this guy I didn’t know came up to us and asked if I had noticed how many older guys were there trying to pick up young punker chicks. He then looked at my niece and with a huge, cartoonish look of surprise on his face, said, “Oops, sorry,” then he walked away laughing. I didn’t even have the chance to say I hadn’t noticed and to thank him for pointing it out. Oh well. Just another lost opportunity, I suppose.

Anyway… Humouroceros


DOA thundering through 'Overtime' while a roadie tries to subdue the crowd with a used goalies stick. Good clean fun.