Friday, December 07, 2007

Edmonton, brutal

In February of this year (2007) I was up in Edmonton, Alberta, taking care of some business. I rented a car while there and then, as is my custom, I preceded to get lost three or four times a day. I have found over the decades that this is a pretty good way to explore a city you don't know. My theory is that if you don't know what you're looking for you just might find something interesting anyway. This method doesn't work all the time, but it works enough that I am satisfied with it (another method I have employed is the Douglas Adams/Dirk Gently 'car following technique' whereby you choose a car at random and follow it. The belief is that while you may not get to where you want to be, you may get to where you need to be. This works as well as you might expect it to and yes, I have been late to work more than once.) At any rate, after a few days all was done and I flew back west to sunny (and warm) British Columbia. Case closed, or so I thought.

On June 15th of that same year I received a letter claiming that I had been clocked cruising around Edmonton at about 22K over the posted speed limit and the Edmonton law enforcement community takes a dim view of this sort of behaviour. Apparently I was now the proud owner of a $130 (Can) traffic fine. The letter also informed me that if I cared to dispute this, a court date had been set aside on June 5, 2007. Being as it was now ten days past that date, things were a little tricky.

They enclosed a photo of the car, presumably as it was speeding, and further informed me that there was no real point in disputing the charges as the camera was operated by highly trained professionals and, in fact, had been checked out just before and again just after the infraction was recorded. So, alright, fair cop. I'm busted. And I have learned my lesson for the next time I visit Edmonton, which will be just after Hell freezes over and wild flocks of pigs are sighted roosting in the Albertan Legislature. I would guess that I am half way there.

Anyway... Humouroceros


The official notice:

Ten days late and thirty pounds of dumb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home