Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Drinking alcohol while pregnant


So the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health has reported on a study that claims that the children of mothers who drank small amounts of alcohol during their pregnancy are not putting their unborn children at risk. In fact, the study suggests, light drinkers were 30% less likely to have children with behavioural problems than women who did not drink at all during pregnancy. Hmmm, I thought to myself, I know that I am not nearly as bright as those who went to school for years to learn how to do studies like this. I would not be able to interpret the data or to explain my findings or none of that stuff. I do know this though, drinking while pregnant is near criminal and very probably child abuse. I am not talking about a woman who has the very occasional glass of wine or something like that, although why someone would even take that sort of chance is beyond me. I am talking about someone who feels they have the right to be wasted no matter what, pregnancy or no pregnancy. And then there is this "study".

Why would one even look into something like this? So now there are women out there who may figure that a couple of beers a day is alright because that isn't like really getting drunk or nothing, and they can use this study to back that way of thinking up. Sure, these are the types who would drink anyway, but why give them an excuse? Maybe I am just being all squant and everything, but shouldn't job number one here be looking out for the unborn baby? The mother can make choices, the baby can't.

Anyway... Humouroceros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home