Sunday, March 11, 2007

Buddy and the lap-top

Buddy and I are talking the other day and out of the blue he asks if I know how to fix a lap-top computer. “Depends,” I said, “have you tried turning the switch to the ‘on’ position?”

“That’s the problem,” he replies. “I spilled coffee on it and now it won’t turn on.”

“I see,” I said, “it’s sort of a ‘Three Mile Island’ sort of scenario.” Hmmm… “Was it a French Roast or some sort of medium roast? It wasn’t one of those flavoured coffees, was it?”

“Not really. It was a Hortons double, double.”

Yikes! That was nasty. Double cream and double sugar. I was about to inform this that he was now the proud owner of a futuristic looking door-stop or paper-weight when Mister Buttinski who was there, butted in. “First thing you do is pull the battery. Take off the backing plate and remove the board and the keyboard touch mesh. Use a soft cloth and gently wipe everything clean with warm, soapy water. Rinse it all and pat it gently dry then leave it out overnight to completely air dry. Gently wipe down the inside of the cavity and all the outer panels. Put it back together and it should be good to go.”

Buddy looks at me and asks, “So what do you think?”

“Sounds all right,” I said. “Of course a microwave oven will dry your stuff off better.”

Buttinski says, “I’ve never heard that before.”

“Well now you have,” I pointed out.

Buddy says, “So I should use a microwave to dry everything out?”

“No,” I told him. “Do it his way this time but if it ever happens again then use the microwave.” I figure anybody who would spill coffee on a lap-top twice can take his chances with the microwave drying method.

Anyway… Humouroceros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home