Friday, March 19, 2010

Fox news is full to the brim with bigots

I was looking through the Fox news web-site, studying up on a post I have been thinking about when I came across the above on one of the comment pages. I'd like to say it was the only comment like this, but it wasn't. I found it appalling that someone felt so sure that they would be agreed with in calling President Obama a "shoe shine boy" that they put it up as a comment. I guess it is even more appalling that nobody has complained about it and it has not been taken down. Or is this an example of what our friends to the south call "freedom of speech"? Anybody can say whatever racist, horrible brain-poison they want, and it is okay because they have the freedom to do so.

Now I am a firm believer in the wild-eyed concept of live and let live. What people do in the privacy of their own home is none of my business as long as they are not hurting anybody else (to quote former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation"). If something offends you, ignore it. I am offended by 'reality television', televangelists, opinion disguised as news, and a whole host of other things, but I find that if I don't watch them or listen to them, I'm fine. But there are limits. Nobody would argue that child-abuse is okay to watch (nobody normal anyway). And nobody should allow racist crap like the above to go unchallenged or unreported (in fact I did try to report it on the Fox site but to do so you have to be a member. I am not now, nor will I ever be a member of the Fox news site).

I am sure that Fox news has an excellent reason for allowing it to remain on the site, I just cannot imagine what that reason could be.

Anyway... Humouroceros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home