Monday, August 14, 2006

The handgun

This is how it is. There I was in my favorite coffee bistro this morning. The sun was shining, there was a slight breeze and there were a couple of RCMP constables sitting on the other side of the patio. They finished their coffees and when they got up to leave I noticed their handguns and it gave me kind of a jolt. I didn’t see the entire weapon, just the end chunk (the hilt or the butt or the handle, whatever you call that bit of the gun you hold on to). I know, how dumb is that? Surprised at the sight of a police officer wearing a handgun. Terrible.

I have chosen to view the situation in this way; our good neighbours to the south who have a grand tradition of shooting each other all the time look at handguns differently than I do. Many of them see the handgun as a terrific tool for home defense, deer hunting, or for leaving lying around so the kids can find and play with it. I view a handgun as a weapon, which is only intended to be used to kill another person. That’s it. Period.

If that doesn’t give you a jolt…

Anyway… Humouroceros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home